December 20, 2014, 07:43:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best golf ball for cold weather?  (Read 3836 times)
Silly Bodkins
Acumen
GDS Guru

MoJo: +10571/-0

United States United States

Ex bunker raker.

« on: November 20, 2011, 04:33:52 PM »

Guy in a golf shop thought that the Srixon Soft Feel might be better in cold weather than the Bridgestone RX or Pro V1 that I generally play.

Tried a couple yesterday and I think it might have been a bit longer than the RX.  At this time of year, distance is key, since everything is soft, and holding greens isn't a problem.

Any thoughts on best balls for cold weather?

On Sundays, I still play hickory.
gmac1983
Sandbagger

MoJo: +0/-0

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 05:53:59 PM »

I second the Srixons, cannot go wrong with pinnacles-especially the 15 ball packs. Always lose a few in the soft conditions  Roll Eyes
Captain Joesterio
HO Extraordinaire
GDS Guru

MoJo: +2024/-0

Cyprus Cyprus

My Bag Will Never Be Set!!

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 06:33:42 PM »

supposedly lower compression balls are better for cooler temps.  I still play my regular ball, but i dont get super soft conditions or a lot of leaves where it is easy to lose a ball. 

I know that when i lived in NJ, DT Solo's were pretty good as was the Dunlop LoCo when it was cooler out. 

Golf is deceptively simple yet endlessly complicated.  It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.  It is at the same time both rewarding and maddening--it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented

WITB:  Cobra S3 9.5 with Fuji Motore Speeder VC 6.2 x, Wishon 949 with speeder 952 X, Adams 18 A3 with Matrix RADIX HY 90 x, Adams 20 Pro Gold with Matrix Altus hybrid X, Adams 23 9031 black with Matrix Altus Hybrid.  Ping S57 Orange dot with KB Tour X 5 - PW.  PING 52/58 Tour S with KB Tour S(might swap to X), Odyssey 2-Ball Metal-X 34" with some weight added to the ass end.
mr_divots
GDS Guru

MoJo: +242/-0

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 06:44:05 PM »

I got out all the old PV1's I had found and practiced with. Worked juuuust fine.  prop
I can't play the firmer variants of balls in the cold. Liking the softer PV1, Z-Star, etc. I still want the urethane cover for the spin. Greens were frozen on the front 9 on Friday, and then the first inch or so got thawed and then rock hard under that on the back side. I needed SPIN!!!  laugh
idiotbox
Repeat Offender
Webmaster
GDS Guru

MoJo: +488/-0

Rwanda Rwanda

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 05:34:06 AM »

I found an NXT Saturday and used it for a couple of days and it was ok off the driver and great on soft greens. I have been playing Srixon Tri-Speeds since I picked up a quite a few dozen @ $19.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.

All Posts made are not to be copied, printed, or used without consent of the poster,they are not facts just random messages found on other bashing forums that are other peoples opinions,not mine or GolfDiscussions.com
br61
Administrator
GDS Guru

MoJo: +195/-0

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 08:06:25 AM »

I got out all the old PV1's I had found and practiced with. Worked juuuust fine.  prop
I can't play the firmer variants of balls in the cold. Liking the softer PV1, Z-Star, etc. I still want the urethane cover for the spin. Greens were frozen on the front 9 on Friday, and then the first inch or so got thawed and then rock hard under that on the back side. I needed SPIN!!!  laugh

That's what I use when it get colder. Also whenever I clean out my bags of used balls, I toss them into a shoe box in garage so I can reuse them in the winter. No sense using brand new premium balls for crappy conditions. Srixon or Bridgestone yellow balls are useful for me in cloudy days as I can't see as well as I used to.

br61's bag full of hackin' utensils

Titleist 915D3 9.5* Rogue Black 80 stiff
Titleist 913F.d 15*
TM RBZ2 TP 18.5*, 21.5* & 24.5*
Titleist 714 AP1 5-PW, 2* weak, Steelfiber 110 stiff
Titleist Vokey SM5 52.12* & 58.11 K
SC X5 35"

A member of couple Hackin' Hall of Shame
Silly Bodkins
Acumen
GDS Guru

Ex bunker raker.

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 08:07:12 AM »

I found an NXT Saturday and used it for a couple of days and it was ok off the driver and great on soft greens. I have been playing Srixon Tri-Speeds since I picked up a quite a few dozen @ $19.

The compression on the Tri-Speeds is only 64 - might have to try those.

Also thinking about the B'stone Fix....
jeffkar
GDS Guru

MoJo: +100/-0

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 09:22:35 AM »

I pull the old, scuffed up premiums out of the shag bag and put them into play.  Especially, the Srixon yellows.  Those things are so easy to see against yellow bermuda grass, it's silly.
Silly Bodkins
Acumen
GDS Guru

Ex bunker raker.

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 09:42:26 AM »

I pull the old, scuffed up premiums out of the shag bag and put them into play.  Especially, the Srixon yellows.  Those things are so easy to see against yellow bermuda grass, it's silly.

I know silly.  big_giggle
Divot Dan
Go in the hole!
Acumen
GDS Guru

MoJo: +1164/-0

Mexico Mexico

The Merry Mex

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 11:40:11 AM »

In cold weather I store my most valuable balls in a warm, protective pouch.

Keep a buffalo in your mind to graze on the prairie of your discontent.
Silly Bodkins
Acumen
GDS Guru

Ex bunker raker.

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 07:55:49 AM »

In cold weather I store my most valuable balls in a warm, protective pouch.

Yeah, I brought the box of balls that I usually keep in my trunk, inside so that they will be warm if I take a few to play.  That's what you meant, right....
Silly Bodkins
Acumen
GDS Guru

Ex bunker raker.

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 12:43:56 PM »

I've played two rounds with a Srixon Soft Feel, and the damn thing is still bright white with absolutely no scuff marks!  The thing might last forever - which is no good, because I like to retire a ball now and then!
Silly Bodkins
Acumen
GDS Guru

Ex bunker raker.

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 02:58:59 PM »

I played yesterday in 55*.  hit multiple drives with a Bridgestone Fix and a Tri-Speed.  The Tri-Speed gave longer results off the driver a few times, the others were pretty close.  Since the Tri-Speed is only 64 compression, I think I'll go with that one in cold weather.

At this time of year, conditions are mostly soft, so spin around the green isn't an issue.  Heck, the greens don't even get cut.  If spin were an issue, a better ball would be the choice (Pro V1, B330 RX).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: