July 24, 2014, 06:19:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving the ball back in your stance....  (Read 8879 times)
hawkdriver
My son can beat me....
Acumen
GDS Guru

MoJo: +51/-0

Christmas Island Christmas Island

Straight cash homey.....

« on: April 26, 2011, 12:57:29 PM »

By no means am I any type of expert....

I always thought that if you wanted the ball to flight higher....place it forward in your stance...but that could also lead to more pulls and/or hooks.

Conversely...if you wanted to flight the ball lower (windy conditions perhaps)...move it back in your stance...but that could also lead to more pushes/slices.

Am I even close to correct?

Here's why I am asking.  Off the tee with my driver....I wanted to flight the ball a little lower to keep it out of the wind yesterday....so I played it back a little further than usual.  The normal ball position off the tee (for me) is about even with my left arm pit (I am right handed).

It did get the flight down where I wanted it.....but I started hitting the ball very straight with my "misses" being a slight hook.  I never expected that....I figured that my misses would be pushes or slices to the right.

Somebody give me a lesson.....  shocking

"Use the force, Luke"....but not the Dark Side.

Wilson FG Tour M3, 10.5*....today anyway
Taylormade SLDR Mini-Driver, 12*/Fuji
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 16.5*/Aldila R.I.P.

Cobra AMP Cell 4-PW/Dynalite 90

Fourteen Golf GW 48*
Cobra Trusty Rusty GW 53*
Fourteen Golf LW 58*

Yes! Olivia Putter

“People ask me, ‘Hey Hoot. Why do you do it, man? Are you some kinda war junkie?' I don't say a word, cause I can't explain it, and they won't understand, man. They just don't get it.  It's all about the man next to you...and that's all it is.”                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        -SFC Norm "Hoot" Gibson in ‘Blackhawk Down'
alexthegrrr8
Aim High.....Score low
Golf Addict

MoJo: +17/-0

Back in the saddle again...

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 03:18:49 PM »

My swing coach and I have purposely worked on this so I know what happens with certain misses and such. We've purposely worked on cerain misses and what causes them.

Plain and simple... when I miss out to the right it's the result of one thing. I've played the ball too far back in my stance. I simply can't fire through and I jam myself causing the block. That said I play everything at least off of my left heel.

Alex

Bag under construction... it's a new era...

Nicklaus Dualpoint ML4 9* Fujikura SG Pro 3.01 TS
Titleist 904F 17* Fujikura Speeder S
Maltby Trouble Out 21* 7 Wood TO 80 S
Maltby Trouble Out 25* Maltby TO 80  S
Nicklaus NPS-2 4-PW FST Pro Silver S
Nicklaus Spin Slot 10-G 53* FST Pro Silver S
Nicklaus Spin Slot 10-G 58* FST Pro Silver S
PUKU JME 42a (41")
mr_divots
GDS Guru

MoJo: +239/-0

United States United States

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 05:45:51 PM »

The further back the ball is, the harder its going to be to get it airborn (and online.) There could be all manner of manipulations you are making with your swing to adjust to the ball position that are causing the right to left flight. I suspect some manner of getting your weight stuck on the back foot and trying to "help" the ball get airborn. That's really your only alternative with the ball position too far back with any club. I've always just teed the ball itself a little lower. It tends to keep the swing flatter, and therefore, less spin due to shallower angle of attack that the lower tee height promotes. For irons, same swing, maybe just a little less power, just more club into the wind. "When it's breezy, swing easy."
Vic Wild
Acumen
GDS Guru

MoJo: +10567/-0

Ex bunker raker.

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 08:24:35 PM »

New ball flight laws.

If you play the ball farther back, you will more than likely be contacting it on a more in-to-out swing path.  When you happen to get the face square to the target line - which you must have been doing with some consistency, the face will be slightly closed to the swing path, resulting in a hook.

Hire a helicopter, liberate your buddies.

I've lost my swing, Adell.
LowSpinningHook
Tour Player

MoJo: +8/-0

Happy Christmas!!

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 09:04:03 AM »

New ball flight laws.

If you play the ball farther back, you will more than likely be contacting it on a more in-to-out swing path.  When you happen to get the face square to the target line - which you must have been doing with some consistency, the face will be slightly closed to the swing path, resulting in a hook.

+1

I have found this to be true on playing any kind of wind shot i hit

ball back 1-2" + 3/4 swing = low ball flight... and occasional draw/hook
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 09:05:13 AM by LowSpinningHook » Logged

TL310 8.5* - C. Kua 59
R9 15*
'09 Rescue TP 19*
'09 Rescue TP 22*
X-22: 5-P
rac 50* chrome bent to 51*
CG15 56* Black bent to 55*
CG15 60* Black bent to 59*
Anser 3
bl8d
GDS Guru

MoJo: +68/-0

things change...

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 09:55:09 AM »

By no means am I any type of expert....

I always thought that if you wanted the ball to flight higher....place it forward in your stance...but that could also lead to more pulls and/or hooks.

Conversely...if you wanted to flight the ball lower (windy conditions perhaps)...move it back in your stance...but that could also lead to more pushes/slices.

Am I even close to correct?

Here's why I am asking.  Off the tee with my driver....I wanted to flight the ball a little lower to keep it out of the wind yesterday....so I played it back a little further than usual.  The normal ball position off the tee (for me) is about even with my left arm pit (I am right handed).

It did get the flight down where I wanted it.....but I started hitting the ball very straight with my "misses" being a slight hook.  I never expected that....I figured that my misses would be pushes or slices to the right.

Somebody give me a lesson.....  shocking
inside your armpit puts the ball at the arch of your foot as another point of reference which is normal.If you were to move it 1ball back and a in to out swing it will give you a lower draw all depending on your hand speed to get the face squared.

'Titleist D2  10.5
Hogan cft 2h penley P2 96s
Hogan CFT 4h  Apex3
'84 Muirfield 3-pw
Staff FG-17 SW
Ping Pal5ks
TM TP RedLDP
Ping Hoofer
Cwebb
GDS Guru

MoJo: +122/-0

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 10:38:57 PM »

New ball flight laws.

If you play the ball farther back, you will more than likely be contacting it on a more in-to-out swing path.  When you happen to get the face square to the target line - which you must have been doing with some consistency, the face will be slightly closed to the swing path, resulting in a hook.

Agreed....and this is why if you want to play low knockdown shot that doesn't draw much, you should shift your allignment further "open" to allow for the more 'in to out' path that will result from having the ball position further back.  Play for a push when you have the ball position further back than your standard.
Vic Wild
Acumen
GDS Guru

Ex bunker raker.

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 05:47:54 PM »

Agreed....and this is why if you want to play low knockdown shot that doesn't draw much, you should shift your allignment further "open" to allow for the more 'in to out' path that will result from having the ball position further back.  Play for a push when you have the ball position further back than your standard.

+1.  Great advice.  A very long time ago, Harry Vardon called his knock-down shot a "push" shot.  Now it all makes sense!
Rockchalk10
Tour Player

MoJo: +9/-0

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 06:56:28 AM »

along the same lines, I'm usually a pretty natural high draw driver of the golf ball; however, recently I just can't seem to get the ball up in the air with my driver.  Nearly every driver I hit (all kinds of lofts) is a low cut...  because I am a mental midget and can't hit driver into the wind it never helps me.

Any ideas?  I'm confident my ball position isn't too far back..   Also, my 4 wood and rescue (clubs i often tee off with) are fine.
Vic Wild
Acumen
GDS Guru

Ex bunker raker.

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 12:09:01 PM »

along the same lines, I'm usually a pretty natural high draw driver of the golf ball; however, recently I just can't seem to get the ball up in the air with my driver.  Nearly every driver I hit (all kinds of lofts) is a low cut...  because I am a mental midget and can't hit driver into the wind it never helps me.

Any ideas?  I'm confident my ball position isn't too far back..   Also, my 4 wood and rescue (clubs i often tee off with) are fine.

1. Check your spine angle.  It should be slightly away from the target.  Don't just lower your right shoulder, that's faking it.  Tilt the whole spine.

2.  Finish the swing, and make sure that you turn your hips through the shot fully.  Early in the season we tend to hang back, or play scared.  Make a good finish, in balance, if possible.

3. Relax the pressure in your hands, and for Good Lord's sake, get your grip correct - it's early in the season, you might as well get it good now because you don't want a pro to tell you it sucks in August.  The butt should be below the heel pad of the left hand; the grip should lie in the fingers of the left hand, and the thumb should be down the right side of the top of the grip, not the top.  When your grip is correct, your hand action can be flexible and result from a good swing, as it should.

AS you go along, your turn should return to form, and your problem with the cut will go away.

Hope that helps.
Rockchalk10
Tour Player

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 12:53:04 PM »

Thanks Moe, #1 is so spot on; I fake this all the time...
LowSpinningHook
Tour Player

MoJo: +8/-0

Happy Christmas!!

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 12:57:27 PM »

+1.  Great advice.  A very long time ago, Harry Vardon called his knock-down shot a "push" shot.  Now it all makes sense!

Isn't this the shot Lee Trevino played his whole career? (Probably still does...)
Rockchalk10
Tour Player

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 01:15:31 PM »

Silly, I was wrong, it was not my spine angle, it was all my grip....  Thanks and now it's  back to swinging for the fences, unitl my next pimple.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:16:33 PM by Rockchalk10 » Logged
Vic Wild
Acumen
GDS Guru

Ex bunker raker.

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 05:16:31 PM »

Silly, I was wrong, it was not my spine angle, it was all my grip....  Thanks and now it's  back to swinging for the fences, unitl my next pimple.

Cool!

I think that there is a direct correlation between a good grip and successful golf.  I also think that most good golfers are very particular about the way that they put their hands on the club.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: