October 31, 2014, 07:18:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Ever Happened To Roy Firestone ?  (Read 4018 times)
mainuh
GDS Guru

MoJo: +0/-0

There Is No There...

« on: March 23, 2010, 07:47:28 AM »

I caught an old ESPN Roy Firestone / Wilt Chamberlain interview this morning and wondered what the hell happened to him. Googled his name...he's still alive, he's relatively young and he was one heck of a good interviewer, imo.

I found that Currently, he is the host of HDNet's Face to Face with Roy Firestone and AOL's Time Out with Roy Firestone. 

Did he have a Peter Kessler / Golf Channel falling out ?

Stern certainly hasn't raised his profile through his Sirius move (has raised his bank roll though), Gumbel is barely visible if you don't have HBO and Kessler... Roll Eyes

rob zchange

... Non illigitamus carborundum
jeffkar
GDS Guru

MoJo: +100/-0

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 08:59:18 AM »

Good question.  I always thought he was fairly solid.  The only incident I remember is him getting "owned" by Bobby Knight.  I don't know if that led to the end of his ESPN Tenure.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/06/01/sports/tv-sports-espn-stumbles-in-knight-interview.html?pagewanted=1

Backspin9
GDS Guru

MoJo: +27/-0

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 03:24:27 PM »

I remember seeing him on TV in LA when I lived there during the 80's.  Thought it was a local channel, but maybe not.  I always thought he was decent.  Haven't seen much of him since those days.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 03:31:20 PM by Backspin9 » Logged
Hungsolo
Often Wrong, Never in Doubt.
GDS Guru

MoJo: +366/-1

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 03:38:49 PM »

I remember seeing him on TV in LA when I lived there during the 80's.  Thought it was a local channel, but maybe not.  I always thought he was decent.  Haven't seen much of him since those days.

me too, I think he was on channel 9, which was/is a local channel there.  Maybe it was 11, which is now Fox but was a local station back then.

bluto
Weekend Golfer

MoJo: +1/-0

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 10:14:37 PM »

He worked for CBS in LA for quite a few years as their sports anchor. Late 70's - mid 80's I believe.
BigKev
Tour Player

MoJo: +4/-0

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 04:18:02 PM »

Currently, he is the host of HDNet's Face to Face with Roy Firestone and AOL's Time Out with Roy Firestone.

Srixon 10.5 Z-Star
Wishon 16.5* 4 wood/ Oban 70 stiff
Adams Idea Tech V3 - 3 hybrid
Adams Idea Pro A12 Irons 4-PW / Steelfiber 95s
Muira C Grind 55 & 59 2up +.75"
TP Mills Anvil Series Huey Prototype
Bridgestone tour B330 RXS
mainuh
GDS Guru

MoJo: +0/-0

There Is No There...

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 04:14:59 PM »

I caught an old ESPN Roy Firestone / Wilt Chamberlain interview this morning and wondered what the hell happened to him. Googled his name...he's still alive, he's relatively young and he was one heck of a good interviewer, imo.

I found that Currently, he is the host of HDNet's Face to Face with Roy Firestone and AOL's Time Out with Roy Firestone. 
Did he have a Peter Kessler / Golf Channel falling out ?

Stern certainly hasn't raised his profile through his Sirius move (has raised his bank roll though), Gumbel is barely visible if you don't have HBO and Kessler... Roll Eyes

rob zchange

Currently, he is the host of HDNet's Face to Face with Roy Firestone and AOL's Time Out with Roy Firestone.

funny...just what we need around here, another wise guy laugh

rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: