November 01, 2014, 06:15:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Putter for higher handicap Golfer  (Read 7962 times)
Philrob
Practice range

MoJo: +0/-0

« on: July 27, 2009, 02:59:24 PM »

Can we forget the high tech lingo for a minute, and just suggest the best putter for a higher handicap golfer. My handicap is about a 15, I am 6 feet tall, and putting stinks. Tried many, and all seem about the same to me. Presently using a $19.95 model from Academy Sports. Works as well as any for me. Looking at some reduced priced model from TGW Golf Warehouse; ie. Odyssey and Ping G5. Just think I need a better one in my hands. Rounded blade seems to appeal to me, but mallet or modified may be better. Comments appreciated.
RickB
GDS Guru

MoJo: +155/-2

I Use Astoglide As A Hair Gel

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 03:19:37 PM »

A large, high-MOI mallet is the most idiot-proof putting device on the market. It's not going to improve your stroke, but it's going to minimize the damage that a bad stroke causes. The more forgiving the putter the more often you're going to get the ball close from more than 20 feet and the more often you get it close the less often you'll three putt. Start with a big putter that provides good distance control, take some lessons and practice a lot.
Nukegolfer
GDS Guru

MoJo: +38/-0

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 05:25:21 AM »

A large, high-MOI mallet is the most idiot-proof putting device on the market. It's not going to improve your stroke, but it's going to minimize the damage that a bad stroke causes. The more forgiving the putter the more often you're going to get the ball close from more than 20 feet and the more often you get it close the less often you'll three putt. Start with a big putter that provides good distance control, take some lessons and practice a lot.

x2.  Additionally, you need to be comfortable with the way the putter looks.  It's next to impossible to be good with a piece of equipment you don't like.

WITB

USGA HCP Index: +0.3
TM Superdeep 8.5* w/ Aldila RIP 70 X-stiff (best driver I've ever owned!)
Cobra Speed Pro X/ST 13* Stiff flex
2004 Callaway Big Bertha 5 wood w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold
Alpha V2 4i hybrid
Ben Hogan Apex 50 blades 6-pw
Cleveland 588 wedges 56*, 60*, and 64*
Heavy Putter G3-DF
Callaway HEX Black Tour
Philrob
Practice range

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 06:03:08 AM »

Thanks folks for your comments. Am looking at mallets, and see where Odyssey states on one of theirs a high MOI. How do we compare mallets for MOI - don't even see it mentioned in specifications for putter? Can you specify a couple mallets with high MOI?  Thanks again.
collector
Practice range

MoJo: +3/-0

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 06:57:23 AM »

Honestly: the best putter for you - the one you like. With some reservations. Yes, the high MOI putters will help with off center hits keeping the putter stable, and the mallets excel there.

The new Rife IMO is a pretty big sucker, but there are some good reviews of it around. Play around at the shops and try a lot of sticks. Ask about returns/exchanges - not very likely. Putting on a course always is different. Seriously though - look at the Rife IMO. Of their Barbados...
SVonhof
GDS Guru

MoJo: +93/-0

My HIO from November, 2008

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 07:52:01 AM »

I agree completely that you need to like the way a putter looks more than anything. A larger putter (with more mass further back) will have a higher MOI, but if you can't stand the look, it may not help you.

What kind of misses do you have? Everything left, everything right, blast everything past the hole or leave everything short? Oh, what about length? Do you like being more upright or hunched over? These all need to be taken into account.

Scott Vonhof
In the bag:
Driver: FS3 10.5 Graffaloy Comp NT 85S shaft,
Thriver: FS3 13
5ive wood: DCT
Irons: VR Pro-Cavity 4-PW w/ Aero-Tech Steelfiber i95 S flex
Wedges: 53, 58
Quadra II
Golf GPS
Golfing since September 2002
cpanther1995
GDS Guru

MoJo: +37/-0

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 07:55:42 AM »

Can we forget the high tech lingo for a minute, and just suggest the best putter for a higher handicap golfer. My handicap is about a 15, I am 6 feet tall, and putting stinks. Tried many, and all seem about the same to me. Presently using a $19.95 model from Academy Sports. Works as well as any for me. Looking at some reduced priced model from TGW Golf Warehouse; ie. Odyssey and Ping G5. Just think I need a better one in my hands. Rounded blade seems to appeal to me, but mallet or modified may be better. Comments appreciated.

Odyssey White Hot Steel 2 ball mallet. Not too freakishly large, but IMO one of the best putters I've ever used.
Philrob
Practice range

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 02:45:02 PM »

Very helpful comments. Still looking, and found one I might like - Talor Made Rossa, Suzuka model.  Don't like idea of hollowed body like Odyssey 2 and 3 ball putters. Any comments?
SVonhof
GDS Guru

MoJo: +93/-0

My HIO from November, 2008

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 08:00:34 PM »

I have a Mentor Sports Quadro that I love. You can adjust the weights to your liking, it's long (front-to-back) with a very visible alignment line so you can see if you are taking it back funny without even taking your eye off the ball.

http://www.mentorsportstech.com/vmoiputters.aspx?page=overview
1OFFGOLF
CUSTOM MEANS ORIGINAL !
Tour Player

MoJo: +15/-8

DAMASCUS ROCKS !!

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 09:47:36 PM »

Odyssey White Hot Steel 2 ball mallet. Not too freakishly large, but IMO one of the best putters I've ever used.

Good thing it works for you. I think Cristie Kerr has had enough of hers costing her tournaments. Pay attention to what she games this weekend or next... whist

WHY BUY OFF THE RACK ?
1OFFGOLF
CUSTOM MEANS ORIGINAL !
Tour Player

DAMASCUS ROCKS !!

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 09:53:29 PM »

Very helpful comments. Still looking, and found one I might like - Talor Made Rossa, Suzuka model.  Don't like idea of hollowed body like Odyssey 2 and 3 ball putters. Any comments?

I personally had a hard time with steadiness back and thru. I putt a semi-gated swing but my putter used to wiggle (heal to toe) on my back swing and overconcentration to this was killing me. I had my first Gene Nead G-Weld Bi-metal hand-made milled to 374.4 grams and the extra weight was a dream come true. Now I have all of my putters made to that weight and was all the difference in the world.

You may try to pick up a "Heavy Putter" off the bay if you have the same type of problem with your stroke.

Hope I helped some, Morgan
Richard Nixon
Goal: Every Green In Regulation
GDS Guru

MoJo: +293/-0

Let The Nothingness Into Yer Shots

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 10:39:25 PM »

That Heavy Putter model that Daly was using was pretty sweet feeling. I don't know how expensive they are though.

"A weapon has no loyalty but to the one who wields it." Chinese Proverb.

-Driver - Titleist 983K
-Fairway Woods: Rotation (Bridgestone J33 3 Wood, MacGregor Tourney Tour 12.5 and 15.5, Taylormade Burner 13)
-Hybrids: None
-Irons: Wilson Staff Pi5 2-PW
-Wedges: Scratch JLM 53 and 58 (Thanks Gwlee7!)
-Putter: Wilson 8802 and Ping My Day
-Bag: Sun Mountain KG2
-Ball: Whatevs
1OFFGOLF
CUSTOM MEANS ORIGINAL !
Tour Player

DAMASCUS ROCKS !!

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 10:46:15 PM »

That Heavy Putter model that Daly was using was pretty sweet feeling. I don't know how expensive they are though.

Daly may be getting a new putter from one of our friends to game very soon.... whist
cpanther1995
GDS Guru

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 01:47:23 PM »

Good thing it works for you. I think Cristie Kerr has had enough of hers costing her tournaments. Pay attention to what she games this weekend or next... whist

I've never cared about what any of the pros use. It's what works for me. I was using a Ping Anser Isoforce when I bought this, and it made an immediate difference in my putting. That was almost 4 years ago.

If I'm not putting well now, it's not the putter, it's me.

ND fan
Sandbagger

MoJo: +1/-0

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 01:55:59 PM »

Find something with a long line sight line on it, preferable one that is parallel with the intended direction.

Or try a long putter, saved me form the yips 20 years ago and I haven't looked back,
mr_divots
GDS Guru

MoJo: +242/-0

United States United States

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 02:12:28 PM »

When my putting starts to stink I usually go back to my Ping G5i Craz-e. It's very stable feeling and has many sightlines/visual cues to point you in the right direction. The head weight is heavier (365 grams if I recall correctly) and for some a heavier head can smooth things out. I also find the insert ins't as picky as some of the White Hots. The White Hots I always seem to hit the metal around the insert instead of the insert. I've observed that with a lot of people who use Odysseys when out playing. The Ping insert I never get that "ball on metal" miss.
idrive400yards
GDS Guru

MoJo: +62/-0

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 02:14:43 PM »

I can't believe nobody said to get FIT for the putter! Most people just buy off the rack, and wonder why it doesn't work for them. With the putter being the ONLY club used on EVERY hole, it should be the one MOST tailored to your stroke. I know by getting properly fitted thru my clubbuilder and having that putter built to my specs, with the head that I liked, helped me from 36+ putts per round to 28-30 putts per round..

Just saying..

I've seen better faces on a dog's ass.... whist laugh
mr_divots
GDS Guru

MoJo: +242/-0

United States United States

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 02:21:14 PM »

I can't believe nobody said to get FIT for the putter! Most people just buy off the rack, and wonder why it doesn't work for them. With the putter being the ONLY club used on EVERY hole, it should be the one MOST tailored to your stroke. I know by getting properly fitted thru my clubbuilder and having that putter built to my specs, with the head that I liked, helped me from 36+ putts per round to 28-30 putts per round..

Just saying..
I agree to an extent. I see so many people playing putters that are too long for example. But, you hear about those pros that walk into a golf shop and pick up an off the rack putter and go out and win a tournament. Given the putting stroke is less dynamic in movement than a full swing, I think it's much easier to adjust if the specs are off just a bit. Sounds like the OP is looking for reasonable price, which putter fittings would send out the window.
bl8d
GDS Guru

MoJo: +68/-0

things change...

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 09:37:49 PM »

very few guys actually have a "set in stone" putting stroke. Worse still they emulate some pro's stroke with a putter that's doesn't match up with the stroke they try to copy.
Certain style of putters work best with a certain style of set-up and swing.
Choose the style of head to match your swing , find your best setup, and from there determine the shaft length and lie.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 09:39:09 PM by bl8d » Logged

'Titleist D2  10.5
Hogan cft 2h penley P2 96s
Hogan CFT 4h  Apex3
'84 Muirfield 3-pw
Staff FG-17 SW
Ping Pal5ks
TM TP RedLDP
Ping Hoofer
cpanther1995
GDS Guru

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 11:18:48 AM »

Just saying..

Lessons may help too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: