July 24, 2014, 06:18:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MacGregor Silver Scot 985's vs. 915 (carbon vs. stainless)  (Read 3242 times)
Practice range

MoJo: +2/-0

« on: June 12, 2009, 06:06:23 AM »

This post is mostly meant as an introduction, but I thought I'd throw a question in as well.

I'm new here and feel like I finally found this place. Discussions on classic equipment ocassionaly crop up on Golfwrx and Puttertalk, but here everything is put toghether in one forum. I've allready seen some great old irons and drivers while browsing this forum. By today's standards I play classic equipment, mostly because my golfing was more or less on hold for a period of circa 10 years until this winter. So I'm still playing my '91 Daiwa Advisor DG-273 blades (the ones Ian Baker-Finch played in the '91 Open he won), my ping eye2 1 iron and old Ping putter. I have since upgraded my Taylor Made Tour Preferred Tour Driver to... a 5-screw Mac M85W Eye-O-Matic. The interwebs in general, and eBay in specific allow me to find clubs that before were completely unfindable living in the Netherlands, so I'm taking full advantage of that now and started first by searching for the Ping putters I always wanted. I've now more or less found the putters I want (not really...) and am now browsing for persimmon. Those 3 Wood Brothers drivers drewspin posted links to in another thread would have looked real good in my bag, especially the Australian one.

At the same time I'm looking around for an old set of blades that I would like to get restored and put in to play. I've seen some pictures here of old Titleist and Wilson Dynapower irons that have been rechromed and would love some day to have a similar set myself. Something like a set of MacGregor Tommy Armour Silver Scot 3852MS or 985T (like the set that went for $29 last night in eBay) or a set of MacGregor Ben Hogan irons (those would look so good rechromed I think).

Now I have a question regarding those old MacGregor irons. The carbon steel (I think) 985's also came as a stainless steel version (the 915's). What are the differences between the two. Is one more durable than the other? Differences in feel? Does anyone have an idea?
bl8d
GDS Guru

MoJo: +68/-0

things change...

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 04:37:24 PM »

I'm not familiar with the two models you refer to as MacGregor models.
I briefly played with the 986 TA Tour models of which I kept the persimmon 5wood because it gave me some memorable shots.
There's little difference as far as feel and playability between the chromed mild steel and a heat-treated stainless club are concerned. The early stainless models were primarily a forged mild untreated 303-304 stainless that played extremely soft, maybe even more so than the MS heads. Unfortunately they were very expensive to make because they wore the hell out of the dies in the making process.

'Titleist D2  10.5
Hogan cft 2h penley P2 96s
Hogan CFT 4h  Apex3
'84 Muirfield 3-pw
Staff FG-17 SW
Ping Pal5ks
TM TP RedLDP
Ping Hoofer
drewspin
Judge Smails Courtroom
GDS Guru

MoJo: +83/-0

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 08:22:19 PM »

Welcome to Golf Discussions!

Here is the '64 Mac Armour Tourney 985 model - I bought this set on the Bay a couple weeks ago - minty fresh

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=270382674719

[Edit - I don't think I've ever seen the stainless set you reference - at least not in person.]
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 08:26:37 PM by drewspin » Logged
bl8d
GDS Guru

MoJo: +68/-0

things change...

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 12:16:15 AM »

thanks drewspin . I've never seen those before. live and learn.
Practice range

MoJo: +2/-0

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 03:10:34 AM »

Thanks for the info. I found an article on Johnny Miller, in which he references a set of stainless steel Silver Scott's and I've seen mention of the 925's with reference to Johnny Miller, so was curious as to why he played those instead of the carbon steel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: