April 24, 2014, 06:15:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Golf club back weighting...  (Read 8661 times)
idiotbox
Repeat Offender
Webmaster
GDS Guru

MoJo: +486/-0

Rwanda Rwanda

« on: May 11, 2009, 12:10:42 PM »

Has anyone experimented with this or does anyone currently use this with their clubs? I'm not talking about lead tape under the grip but the cartridge type weights that can be purchased. The reason I ask is that I hit a driver yesterday that had a 30g back weight in it and the difference was night and day with a similar driver without it.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.

All Posts made are not to be copied, printed, or used without consent of the poster,they are not facts just random messages found on other bashing forums that are other peoples opinions,not mine or GolfDiscussions.com
wenoG
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid
Tour Player

MoJo: +4/-0

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 01:47:38 PM »

Has anyone experimented with this or does anyone currently use this with their clubs? I'm not talking about lead tape under the grip but the cartridge type weights that can be purchased. The reason I ask is that I hit a driver yesterday that had a 30g back weight in it and the difference was night and day with a similar driver without it.

I'm pretty sure this topic has had a few threads in the past ....do a search on Balance certified and/or counter balance and you should find several threads on this topic.  I should probably go back and re-read them myself.  There is alot of good info on counter balancing in those threads.

w
thewitt
GDS Guru

MoJo: +49/-0

myOstrich Golf

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 07:09:40 AM »

It can work for a wide range of players.

-t

myOstrich Golf
Components and Clubmaking Supplies - Custom Built Clubs
Proud to be a GDS Sponsor - Discount Coupon Code at Checkout - "GDS"
Charter Member - International Clubmakers Guild (Over 250 strong!)
slymer58
GDS Guru

MoJo: +89/-0

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 07:19:54 AM »

It can work for a wide range of players.

-t
I have and liked it. Tim won't mention it but Myostrichgolf sells the "Tour Lock Pro Weights" type and he offers a discount to GDers.
Desmond
GDS Guru

MoJo: +195/-1

Go Ahead, Make My Day

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 07:38:24 AM »

I have and liked it. Tim won't mention it but Myostrichgolf sells the "Tour Lock Pro Weights" type and he offers a discount to GDers.

He also has offered Balance Certified in the past.
wenoG
Tour Player

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 10:29:21 AM »

With Certified Balance and/or Tour Lock Pro Weights, how do you determine what is the right weight to use?  Is it just trial and error or is there certain clubmakers that have been trained in fitting them?  I don't think installing them is very difficult, but my luck I would put too much weight in and screw up my swing even more....  laugh...
thewitt
GDS Guru

myOstrich Golf

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 02:16:01 PM »

It is trial and error fitting, even with those who have done hundreds of players...

Try taping nickels to the butt of your clubs. Start with 30g for a full swing club, and go up and down from there. 20-40g is most common for full swing clubs in my experience.

For putters, 60-90g is more common.

-t
wenoG
Tour Player

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 02:23:54 PM »

It is trial and error fitting, even with those who have done hundreds of players...

Try taping nickels to the butt of your clubs. Start with 30g for a full swing club, and go up and down from there. 20-40g is most common for full swing clubs in my experience.

For putters, 60-90g is more common.

-t

Thanks Tim,

I'll give that a try.

w
Desmond
GDS Guru

Go Ahead, Make My Day

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 02:26:21 PM »

Thanks Tim,

I'll give that a try.

w

A quarter is about 5g.

wenoG
Tour Player

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 02:50:18 PM »

A quarter is about 5g.

This might be a dumb question, but could you use back weighting (Balance Certified or Tour Lock Pro Weights) and ProSoft inserts in the same club?  Would there be any reason to use both in the same club? 

Thanks,

w

Desmond
GDS Guru

Go Ahead, Make My Day

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 04:40:05 PM »

This might be a dumb question, but could you use back weighting (Balance Certified or Tour Lock Pro Weights) and ProSoft inserts in the same club?  Would there be any reason to use both in the same club? 

Thanks,

w

I haven't used Pro Softs -- but if they're attached to the top of the shaft, no. If they're just shoved down the shaft without attachment - yes.
thewitt
GDS Guru

myOstrich Golf

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 05:15:14 PM »

ProSoft inserts work fine with backweights installed. I have them in all my clubs.

-t
idiotbox
Repeat Offender
Webmaster
GDS Guru

Rwanda Rwanda

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 06:42:30 PM »

I have done extensive research in the past two days and and one thing I found out is that a quarter weighs 5.67g. There is a local golf store that is going to let me use their balance certified rings to determine what weight I need for all of my clubs. A mini tour friend of mine has a 30g back weight in his Burner and it feels a world's difference than my Burner. I will do further experiments to see exactly what I need. I do know that a little back weight in my putter works wonders. Thanks for all of the input.
XtremeCruiser
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 06:50:33 PM »

I have done extensive research in the past two days and and one thing I found out is that a quarter weighs 5.67g. There is a local golf store that is going to let me use their balance certified rings to determine what weight I need for all of my clubs. A mini tour friend of mine has a 30g back weight in his Burner and it feels a world's difference than my Burner. I will do further experiments to see exactly what I need. I do know that a little back weight in my putter works wonders. Thanks for all of the input.
Neil told me to use a few nickels or quarters as a test on a club, easy way to test what works for you
daughterscameron
Collector
Acumen
GDS Guru

MoJo: +95/-0

Uganda Uganda

Titleist

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 07:01:27 PM »

But does this mini tour friend admit to being YOUR friend? Tongue cheesyf cheesyf

now that theres funny, i dont care who you are.
idiotbox
Repeat Offender
Webmaster
GDS Guru

Rwanda Rwanda

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 07:29:40 PM »

But does this mini tour friend admit to being YOUR friend? Tongue cheesyf cheesyf

No. If there are other people around, he acts as though he doesn't know me. He didn't get past the sectionals for the U.S Open qualifier. On to the regionals.
idiotbox
Repeat Offender
Webmaster
GDS Guru

Rwanda Rwanda

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 07:30:54 PM »

Neil told me to use a few nickels or quarters as a test on a club, easy way to test what works for you

I took quarters in stacks of 5 and played around with em yesterday. I now have to experiment with the balance certified rings.
bl8d
GDS Guru

MoJo: +68/-0

things change...

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 06:25:37 AM »

back-weighting works, you just have to have the time and enough weights to experiment with. I found 40 grams is my weight in the driver and 30 in my fairway woods,ahem, I mean metals.

'Titleist D2  10.5
Hogan cft 2h penley P2 96s
Hogan CFT 4h  Apex3
'84 Muirfield 3-pw
Staff FG-17 SW
Ping Pal5ks
TM TP RedLDP
Ping Hoofer
mikeychx
Practice range

MoJo: +0/-0

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 08:53:26 PM »

Anyone used the optivibe weighting system yet? Goes down into the shaft.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: