Heavy Putter, Light Putter, Fast Greens, Slow Greens

<< < (4/4)

drewspin:
The only correct answer is that there is not a single correct answer to the question.

Richard Nixon:
I think the heavy putter/light putter debate was probably ginned up by putter producing companies anxious to figure out new ways to gin up sales. Callaway tried to get people to believe the same sort of utter bullshit when Phil won after carrying two drivers. "Hey, you'll use this club at most 14 times a round, so you'd better have two drivers just in case." I think the best putters in the world probably have only one putter, and that's what they use to putt with, everything else be damned.

RIP Ultimate Warrior:
I have the Never Compromise putter that looks like the bat wing.  It has adjustable weights.  Went out and gave it a roll this week at 370 grams, the highest weight possible, on some slow greens. 

I found the heavy weight did two things for me.  It really slowed my tempo down on short putts.  So much so I left a couple downhill putts short.  I was not pleased with this.

It also allowed me not to take such a big back stroke on long putts.  I liked this.

After going out and doing some 'perimenting, I can see how the answer can be both.  I haven't played faster greens yet and will do so on Sunday.  I'll see then if that changes my initial impression. 

As far as company's "ginning up" sales or good putters sticking with one putter, etc., consider the following:

http://www.pgatour.com/2007/tournaments/r471/07/07/maginnes/index.html

Germane part, "After the opening round at the AT&T National (2007), Tiger Woods expressed his displeasure with his own wand. His opening round 73 included a total of 34 putts. Tiger "doctored" his putter on Thursday night. In a post-round interview with Mark Carnevale on the PGA TOUR Network on XM Radio, Tiger said that he added some lead tape to the sole of the putter."

http://golfsdailyslice.com/2007/07/16/tiger-woods-to-add-lead-tape-on-putter-for-carnousties-slow-greens/

Germane part, "TIGER Woods is focused on fine-tuning his short game before his bid for a third consecutive Open Championship title gets underway on Thursday.

The world No 1, who arrived for his first practice round at Carnoustie yesterday (2007), plans to use lead tape to add weight to his putter this week in a move designed to counteract the slow and bumpy greens he expects to encounter on the Angus links.

Williams in an interview with a Sunday newspaper in New Zealand said, ďIf Tiger has one part of his game thatís not strong itís putting on slow and bumpy surfaces."

Later,
David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page