September 23, 2014, 06:22:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 45-50 Gram Shaft for Driver - Question for Shaft Experts  (Read 3428 times)
dcallan
Hogan and the boys
Tour Player

MoJo: +7/-0

Google Talk
« on: March 30, 2008, 08:06:56 AM »

All:  I have been considering an experiment with my driver.  I have been looking at the specs on newer OEM driver shafts and many seem to be in the 50 gram range with torque between 4.0 and 5.0.  I am playing a 65 gram shaft with 2.8 torque, which I like, but I wonder if I would increase swing speed with a lower weight shaft. 

However, I am concerned with the high torque with these UL shafts.  Is there any value in getting a 45 gram shaft with 5.0 torque or, 55 gram shaft with 4.0 torque?  I have a relatively smooth transition.  I wonder if I will gain any appreciable distance?  Without access to a launch monitor, it is tough for me to know. Has anyone experimented?  I know that the theory is that high torque widens dispersion, but can an amateur golfer really tell the difference in 1* torque?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 09:32:17 PM by dcallan » Logged

WITB 2012
Wilson Di11 Irons (4-GW)
Cleveland CG15 Wedge (56/14)
Hamilton HM-4 Putter
Sun Mountain Stand Bag
ClickGear 3.0 Cart (my back applauds...)
Top-Flite Gamer V2, D2 and Titleist NXT
USGA HC=11?
TORAIDER
Tour Player

MoJo: +4/-0

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 01:15:18 PM »

All:  I have been considering an experiment with my driver.  I have been looking at the specs on newer OEM driver shafts and many seem to be in the 50 gram range with torque between 4.0 and 5.0.  I am playing a 65 gram shaft with 2.8 torque, which I like, but I wonder if I would increase swing speed with a lower weight shaft.    Yes, you likely would see a slight uptick in speed...

However, I am concerned with the high torque with these UL shafts.  Is there any value in getting a 45 gram shaft with 5.0 torque or, 55 gram shaft with 4.0 torque?     I'm not sure how many manufacturers are bang on with their torque numbers, not to mention, I'm not sure there is a standard way to measure this from co. to co.

I have a relatively smooth transition.  I wonder if I will gain any appreciable distance?  Without access to a launch monitor, it is tough for me to know. Has anyone experimented?  I know that the theory is that high torque widens dispersion, but can an amateur golfer really tell the difference in 1* torque?  Now, define appreciable...just kidding.  I have a slower swing speed, Driver in the low 80s.  I've tried lower and higher torque shafts, I could not tell a huge difference to them both...but, I can not say how sensitive I am.  My two shafts were the Accra T40 M3 and the BB Solutions 130 A-Flex.   

Lastly, I plan on trying the Graman UL440 R and the Accuflex Icon Lite R to see how they perform as well...   Try them out and good luck!
JimPost
Tour Player

MoJo: +5/-0

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 01:54:24 PM »

Any idea as to what your swing speed is?  Unless you're up in the 100+ mph range, I wouldn't worry too much about those torque numbers.  Besides, as TORAIDER says, those numbers are all over the place, since there is no definitive standard measurement of torque.  A higher torque shaft is going to feel a bit softer than a lower torque shaft (lower torque will feel a bit "board-ier" if that's a word).

Driver - Lynx BC Tour Carbon Crown 11.5 w/VSE60 A-Flex
FW - Wishon 915 7+ w/CustomPro A-Flex
3-PW - Snake Eyes 675XC w/Project X Flt 5.5
AW - Snake Eyes 685BX 52/08 w/Rifle Spinner 5.5
SW - Snake Eyes 685BX 56/14
LW - Snake Eyes 685BX 60/10
LW - Prof. Open 64/05
Putter - Snake Eyes 7801
Ball - Snake Eyes SDF
kamtile
GDS Guru

MoJo: +175/-1

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 02:02:57 PM »

I have recently discovered the Fujikura Speeder 553 and I am totally impressed .Low spin ,mid lauch and Fuji smooth and as long as my Ozik Code 6s , 53 grams
Desmond
GDS Guru

MoJo: +195/-1

Go Ahead, Make My Day

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 02:06:09 PM »

I swing as slow with a 58g shaft as I do a 65g shaft.  laugh

Don't think 10g at the low end makes a difference.

dcallan
Hogan and the boys
Tour Player

Google Talk
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 05:26:11 PM »

My swing speed is between 95 and 105 depending on the day and the amount of play I have had.  I only get to play once a week, so it can vary that much.  I gave the PL 55 a shot and I do not notice any difference in dispersion compared to the 65 gram shaft.  Distance is too difficult to judge on the driving range, but I think I am as long or longer.  Thanks for the help.
spike
Tour Player

MoJo: +4/-0

GolfShackChat

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 07:24:39 AM »

I've read that many shaft companies overestimate their "low torquiness"
(how's that for a word). In other words those 2.5 torque shafts are quite ofte 3.0 and above.
  After recently trying a shaft in the 4.5 torque range, I think I like the feel of a higher torque shaft better,plus I've noticed no dispersion problems.
BigLeftyinAZ
GDS Guru

MoJo: +147/-0

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 07:33:08 AM »

Torque is normally a feel thing.

thewitt
GDS Guru

MoJo: +49/-0

myOstrich Golf

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 01:29:42 PM »

In order for ultralight shafts to not feel boardy, they need to have a higher torque.

When we were working on the iFit Helium Forty Five, the first shaft had a true 3.5 degrees of measured torque. It felt very harsh.

At 5 degrees it's a winner.

-t

myOstrich Golf
Components and Clubmaking Supplies - Custom Built Clubs
Proud to be a GDS Sponsor - Discount Coupon Code at Checkout - "GDS"
Charter Member - International Clubmakers Guild (Over 250 strong!)
dcallan
Hogan and the boys
Tour Player

Google Talk
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 06:43:42 PM »

Thanks for that information. I have been looking at shafts "by the numbers" since I don't have the ability to try before I buy.  And, I have found that some of the less expensive shafts I bought and built for my brother and father with ultra light weight and slightly higher torque felt pretty good to me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: