Ping Eye 2 original shafts?

<< < (3/4) > >>

eastsider:
Quote from: RG on March 01, 2008, 04:19:20 PM

To start with, I'm new to the forum.  I've been playing for years in Idaho (since the '70's).  OK, my question is:  I bought a new set of Ping Eye 2's black dot in 1985.  I've played the since then and wondering what shaft (steel) came with them originally.  There is no indication mark (that I can see) on them.  Also, as a "junior - senior" golfer (age 55) I've been thinking about re-shafting.  I'm 6'0, 185 lbs, good physical condition, 10 handicap.  Any thoughts on new shafts? 

My 2 cents..The eye 2 and the eye 2+ were made for the zz lite or micro taper.The heads were sorted by weight since they have no plastic inserts to control the swingweight..I had a set of eye2's reshafted by ping with cs lite shafts.The shafts were really to light for the heads and I lost distance and I had a problem with hitting  the ball much to high.The irons had no feel.Ping was really good about my discomfort with the cs lites.They reshafted the irons with zzlites and soft stepped the 2 times.I am also a senior going on 63 and the shafts are great with the zz lites soft stepped.I would not put ant y other shafts in them since the zz lites were designed for the eye 2's.Hope this helped.

oldcaddie:
Quote from: RG on March 01, 2008, 09:36:49 PM

The ZZ Lite rings a bell.  They have been great!  Just thinking about re-shafting.  Any suggestions?

I changed out the ZZ lites with rifle taper tips shafts. 

SBR67:
Quote from: dawson2282 on March 04, 2008, 03:12:09 PM

Here is a listing of PING shafts I received from an unknown seb-site a long time ago.

CS-LITE  (regular and stiff):  Weight 93.9 (R), 107. (S) Torgue 1.8 (R) 1.7 (S) Description:  Lightweight steel shaft which has a mid flex point and a mid to soft tip section.  A very common shaft found in the G2 and G5 series.  Ball flight:  this shaft is designed to hit the ball highest of all the shafts offered at this flex.

Z-Z65 (stiff):  weight 108.8 torgue: 1.6 Description: An updated version of the ZZ-LITE.  Lightweight steel shaft which has a high flex point and stiff tip.  This shaft is offered in only stiff flex.  The Z-Z65 is similar in flex to the Dynamic Gold S300 but is much lighter in weight.  A very common haft in the ISI irons through current irons offerings. Ball flight: this shaft is designed for a mid-ball flight due to the weight.  It should fly lower than the CS-lite and higher than the DGS and DGX.

ZZ-Lite (stiff):  weight 115  torgue 1.9  Description:  Very similar to the Z-Z65 but heavier in weight.  The ZZ-lite has a high flex point and stiff tip.  A very common shaft in the Eye 2 irons.  Ball flight:  same as the Z-Z65 (NOT available for new orders).

JZ (regular and stiff):  weight 109.8 (R) 115.1 (S) torgue: 1.9 (R) 1.7 (S)  Description:  a mid weight steel shaft which plays a little softer then the Z-Z65 and ZZ-lite.  A very common shaft found in the  Zing, Zing 2, and ISI irons.  Ball flight:  due to the mid flex point, it is designed to hit the ball between the CS-lite and the Z-Z65 (NOT available for new orders).

DGS (stiff):  weight 124.5 torgue 1.5  Description: Dynamic Gold S-400.  A heavy shaft with a high flex point and a stiff tip.    Ball flight: weight of this shaft should hit the ball lower than all the shafts except for the DGX.

DGX (X-stiff):  weight 122.8  torgue 1.4  Description: Dynamic Gold X-100.  A heavy shaft with a high flex point and very stiff tip.  Ball Flight:  this shaft is heavy and aimed at players with high swing speed and quick tempo.  The shaft should produce the lowest ball flight of all shafts listed.

KT & KT-M (stiff):  106  torgue  1.9  Description:  A mid weight shaft with a high flex point and stiff tip.  These shafts are most commonly found in EYE 2 and Zing irons.  Ball flight is mid and similar to ZZ-lite (NOT available in new orders).

Microtaper (stiff):  weight 115  torgue  1.9  Description: a mid-weight shaft with a high flex point and stiff tip.  This shaft is very similar to the KT shaft.  Most commonly found in the K series, Eye and Eye 2 irons.  Ball flight: mid and similar to the ZZ-lite (NOT available in new orders).

Currently, PING offers the AWT, of which I have the regular flex.  Harsh feeling shaft to me.  Light weight on longer irons and heavier in lower irons.  Feel stiffer than Dynamic Golds to me.

Hope this helps anyone....

Nice rundown on the PING offerings. Thanks alot.

bl8d:
Quote from: eastsider on March 04, 2008, 08:38:32 PM

Quote from: RG on March 01, 2008, 04:19:20 PM

To start with, I'm new to the forum.  I've been playing for years in Idaho (since the '70's).  OK, my question is:  I bought a new set of Ping Eye 2's black dot in 1985.  I've played the since then and wondering what shaft (steel) came with them originally.  There is no indication mark (that I can see) on them.  Also, as a "junior - senior" golfer (age 55) I've been thinking about re-shafting.  I'm 6'0, 185 lbs, good physical condition, 10 handicap.  Any thoughts on new shafts? 

My 2 cents..The eye 2 and the eye 2+ were made for the zz lite or micro taper.The heads were sorted by weight since they have no plastic inserts to control the swingweight..I had a set of eye2's reshafted by ping with cs lite shafts.The shafts were really to light for the heads and I lost distance and I had a problem with hitting  the ball much to high.The irons had no feel.Ping was really good about my discomfort with the cs lites.They reshafted the irons with zzlites and soft stepped the 2 times.I am also a senior going on 63 and the shafts are great with the zz lites soft stepped.I would not put ant y other shafts in them since the zz lites were designed for the eye 2's.Hope this helped.

With all due respect most of the ping shafts except those I singled out earlier,were boards IMO. I have played them all except for the recent AWT.  Your present comfort with the zz is because they were double soft-stepped for you by the factory.I am led to suspect that the cslite put into your eye2 innitially were the Regular which are tip soft.
 Karstens original shaft philosophy and one they stayed with for a long time was to put everybody into the lightest stiffest shaft. Unfortunately, they would only offer them in one flavour and you had to switch to another type completely to get a different feel. They are more compliant now is because the public demands it and are getting the service from all the other major producers.
 I'm glad they worked it through for you.
Dawson's list is the best rundown on Ping iron shafts yet.

RG:
Thanks for the help!  (especially the Ping shaft chart).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page